A cardholder dispute occurs when you have a disagreement with a merchant about a charge they made to your debit card.
Possible reasons for a dispute may include:
- You were charged twice for the same purchase.
- You canceled a service but the merchant charged you anyway. For example, you used your debit card to reserve a hotel room, but canceled with the hotel and were charged anyway.
- You were charged an incorrect transaction amount, for example $100 instead of $10.
- You attempted to withdraw funds at an ATM, but for some reason the cash was not disbursed from the machine (most likely due to malfunction), but your account was debited anyway.
A fraudulent transaction occurs only when you have no knowledge of who used your card and you can state with certainty that you were not aware of the transaction.
Possible fraudulent transactions may be the result of:
- Counterfeit or skimmed cards
- Computer breaches
- Your card may have been lost or stolen and someone used it
An ATM dispute occurs when you attempted a transaction at an ATM and your account was not properly debited or credited for the amount of the transaction.
Possible reasons for an ATM may include:
- You attempted to withdraw funds at an ATM, but for some reason the cash was not disbursed from the machine (most likely due to malfunction), but your account was debited anyway
If there are transactions on your account that you are unable to resolve with the merchant, fraudulent transactions that you have no knowledge of, or an ATM transaction that you did not receive the funds or credit for a transaction, please use the steps below to file a dispute:
STEP 1: Complete the applicable forms. Please do not complete forms for pending transactions. The transaction(s) must have already posted to your account.
Cardholder Dispute Form. Please note that Visa® requires the cardholder to attempt to resolve the matter with the merchant prior to submitting a dispute.
ATM Dispute Form. Use this form to report an ATM dispute.
STEP 2: Return signed documents to Fortera Credit Union. Choose the method most convenient for you: Fax: 931.431.2028, email: CardServices@ForteraCU.com, or by mail: Fortera Credit Union, Attn: Card Services, 2050 Lowe’s Drive, Clarksville, TN 37040
What Happens Next?
Fortera Credit Union will promptly investigate your claim within ten (10) business days (20 business days if error occurred within 30 days after the first deposit to the account was made) to determine whether an error occurred. We will mail you a letter with the results of the investigation within 3 business days after completing the investigation.
If we are unable to complete our investigation within 10 business days, we may take up to 45 days. If we do this, we will provisionally credit your account within 10 business days for the amount you claim is in error (5 business days for transactions authorized by signature).